stem4 welcomed parents attending the 2019 Parent Conference kindly organised by Action for Carers, Surrey. This was the first Action for Carers workshop around young people’s mental health.
Topics covered included:
– A welcome by Rachel Brennan – Adult Carer Support from Action for Carers
– Aims of the conference – Dr Nihara Krause Consultant Clinical Psychologist, CEO and Founder stem4 who developed the award-winning Calm Harm and Clear Fear apps for stem4
– Children and Young People’s Mental Health – setting the scene – Dr Nihara Krause
– About Anxiety – Christoulla Boodram (known as Chrissy B) TV producer, TV host and author
– About Depression – Iain Maitland author
– The Impact on Siblings – Rosie Day an award-winning young actress
– Building Resilient Families – Dr Nihara Krause
Each speaker’s presentation was followed by some ‘top tips’ from a professional perspective by Dr Krause.
Comments obtained after the Conference were extremely positive with 100% of parents attending saying that they found the content useful. 92% of parents said that they felt more confident in knowing how to deal with a panic attack following the Conference. 93% said that the session increased their awareness of the early signs of mental ill-health in young people. 100% said they would recommend the Conference.
Dr Krause said ‘stem4 are delighted to have worked with Action for Carers, Surrey who do a great job in bringing parents together. Parents play a vital role in the support and recovery of young people with mental health problems and stem4 are delighted that we have been able to facilitate this process through the shared experiences of our ambassadors, together with clinical input.’